Local Governing Bodies
The Directors establish a Local Governing Body for each academy. The role of the Local Governing Body is to exercise leadership on behalf of the Company in the running of the individual academy. The Local Governing Body provides information to the Directors of the Trust on the operation and success of the academy.
It is not the role of the local governing body to intervene in the day-to-day management of the school unless there are weaknesses in the school, when it then has a duty to take action by immediately referring concerns to the CEO of the Company.
The purpose of having a local governing body is to:
- help the school to set high standards by planning for the academy's future and setting targets for school improvement;
- maintain a consistent focus on checking the effectiveness of school improvement;
- be a critical friend to the academy, offering support and advice but also challenge;
- help the academy respond to the needs of parents and the community;
- make the academy accountable to the public for what it does;
- work with the academy on planning, developing policies and keeping the school under review; and
- exercise its responsibilities and powers in partnership with the Academy Principal and staff.
Key responsibilities of Governors
It is the responsibility of the Local Governing Body to ensure that the academy complies with all policies and procedures established by the Directors, specifically:
- ensuring the quality of educational provision;
- evaluating pupil outcomes;
- challenging and monitoring the performance of the academy;
- taking decisions about personnel management;
- managing financial, physical and human resources; and
- raising concerns and risks with the Directors
In the Trust we have three Acadmies with their own local governing body. Governors of the governing bodies can be found below. To see the Code of Conduct for the Local Governing Body please click here.
All governors apart from the Principal are appointed for a term of four years. All governors are members of the full governing body and are asked to sit on either the Raising Standards Committee or the Operations Committee.
List of governors at Forest Academy
- Wayne Cooper – Principal
- James Jones – Appointed Governor
- Leslie Jones (Chair) – Appointed Goverrnor
- Laura Marshall – Parent Governor
- Rishi Patel – Appointed Governor
- Ust Oldfield - Appointed Governor
- Katherine Samuels – Staff Governor
- Martin Warner – Appointed Governor
To find out more about the Forest Govenring Body including the Register of Pecuniary Interests, Attendance at meeting, their governor responsibility and the committee they sit on please click here.
List of governors at The Woodside Academy
- Paul Dowie (Vice Chair) - Appointed Governor
- Joe Gaytten - Appointed Governor
- Kay Hancox - Appointed Governor
- Glenn Lillo - Parent Governor
- Claire Howarth - Principal
- Sian Marshall - Appointed Governor
- Kim Meyler-Vincent - Parent Govenor
- Carly Walker (Chair) - Appointed Governor
To find out more about the The Woodside Academy Govenring Body including the Register of Pecuniary Interests, Attendance at meeting, their governor responsibility and the committee they sit on please click here
List of governors at West Thornton Academy
- Hafsa Adan - Parent Governor
- Shrelle Lauder - Appointed Governor
- Elizabeth Mohothars (Vice Chair) - Parent Govenor
- Shreya Patel - Appointed Governor
- Keith Robinson (Chair) - Appointed Governor (2 Terms)
- Ami Shirley - Appointed Governor
- Cordelia Shooter - Parent Governor
To find out more about the West Thornton Academy Govenring Body including the Register of Pecuniary Interests, Attendance at meeting, their governor responsibility and the committee they sit on please click here.