Tortoise teaches us to be reflective
Meerkat teaches us to use relationships
Elephant teaches us to be resilient
Monkey teaches us to be resourceful
THE LANGUAGE OF LEARNING
- Are you managing your own distractions today?
- Have you persevered with this task?
- If I try, try, try, then I can, can, can.
- Open your mind to new possibilities.
- Think before you act.
- Is now the time to ask for help?
- Are you thinking intelligently?
- Push yourself, don’t be afraid.
- Are you taking risks to solve this problem?
- Don't be afraid to get it wrong.
- Use your imagination.
- How do I manage distractions?
- How do I settle back down to work?
- How do I manage being stuck?
- Learning can be a struggle - how do I manage this?
- Be curious.
- Are you making sensible choices?
- Does this work reflect your true capabilities?
HABITS OF THE MIND
- Managing impulsivity
- Listening with understanding and empathy
- Thinking flexibly
- Thinking about thinking (metacognition)
- Striving for accuracy and precision
- Questioning and posing problems
- Applying past knowledge to new situations
- Thinking and communicating with clarity and precision
- Gathering data through all senses
- Creating, imagining and innovating
- Responding with wonderment and awe
- Taking responsible risks
- Finding humour
- Thinking interdependently
- Remaining open to continuous learning